Then the Lord said to Moses, "I will rain down bread from heaven for you.
The people are to go out EACH DAY and gather enough for that day.
In this way, I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions."
~ Exodus 16:4

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

As They Began to Sing and Praise

Today I've been uplifted by an event that I've read about before but haven't thought about for a very long time.  2 Chronicles 20 tells the story, and the whole passage is just SO GOOD.  In a nutshell, three armies were coming against Judah; and King Jehoshaphat and the people sought the Lord for deliverance.  The role of worship through music was HUGE in this situation.  To quote just a few verses...


Jehoshaphat bowed with his face to the ground, and all the people of Judah and Jerusalem FELL DOWN in worship before the Lord.  Then some Levites from the Kohathites and Korahites STOOD UP and praised the Lord, the God of Israel, with very loud voice...


After consulting the people, Jehoshaphat appointed men to sing to the Lord and to praise him for the splendor of his holiness as they went out at the head of the army, saying:
"Give thanks to the Lord,
for his love endures forever."


As they began to sing and praise, the Lord set ambushes against the men of Ammon and Moab and Mount Seir who were invading Judah, and they were defeated.
~ 2 Chronicles 20:18,19,21,22

Wow!  I'm in awe!  This is fantastically, wonderfully, incredibly phenomenal!  :)

And it changes my view of spiritual warfare.

Credit goes to my beloved husband for bringing this to my attention and to John Piper for his insight on this.