Then the Lord said to Moses, "I will rain down bread from heaven for you.
The people are to go out EACH DAY and gather enough for that day.
In this way, I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions."
~ Exodus 16:4

Monday, August 23, 2010

Stuff

While reading Polly's blog recently, I came across this convicting quote. It made me ask myself, "How am I doing in relation to stuff? Am I a slave to it? Am I longing to acquire more? Am I unselfish enough to let it go and bless others? How many books/clothes/toys/dishes/CDs, etc. does a family need anyway? What holds me back from getting rid of things?"

Author Tony Campolo says "The typical size of an American house has increased 40 percent in the last 25 years. It's not because we're having more children; we're having fewer children! We need bigger and bigger houses simply to hold all the stuff we don't need. What's even worse is that we're renting out space in storage bins because we can't contain all the stuff we have in the huge houses we have at our disposal. It has become an insane society as far as surplus is concerned."

-from "Laying it Down: Learning to Live with Less in a Culture of Excess," by Jesse Carey, May-June 2007 edition of Relevant Magazine

Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your Heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?
~ Matthew 6:26