Then the Lord said to Moses, "I will rain down bread from heaven for you.
The people are to go out EACH DAY and gather enough for that day.
In this way, I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions."
~ Exodus 16:4

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Well Content to Be Weak

An Elisabeth Elliot devotional,
with my thoughts interjected.

What weakness are you feeling today?...
Too many to describe.

A sense of inadequacy for some task laid upon you?...
Yes, yes, and yes. I always feel inadequate for my roles of wife, mother, homemaker, etc. Especially the mother one. Ani lo maspiqah.

Christ has been there before you. Every form of human limitation He knew, and out of that utter poverty we have been made strong. Yet, again and again, in the life of each disciple, comes the experience of weakness in order that we may live His life for others...
Again and again? Does it have to be that way? I'd like to just conquer this obstacle and be done with it once and for all and never be weak again!

This sharing of His weakness is one aspect of the death of the cross, one of the conditions of our discipleship, and hence cause for joy rather than bitterness...
I'd rather think about other aspects of the death of the cross--like the reward waiting us in heaven because of Christ's blood shed for us. But OK, I'll try to be joyful about the frailty of my human condition and not be bitter.

For we walk the road, not alone, but with Christ, "well content to be weak at any time if only you are strong" (2 Cor. 13:9 NEB)...
Thank You, Jesus, that You walk with me on this demanding journey.

The mystery is constantly being worked out--strength out of weakness, life out of death.
Lord, may any success I have along the way, any strength that flows from me, any joy that is evident to the world--may it be obvious that it comes from You, and not from my own self.

Likewise, we are weak in him, yet by God's power we will live with him to serve you.
~ 2 Corinthians 13:4b