Then the Lord said to Moses, "I will rain down bread from heaven for you.
The people are to go out EACH DAY and gather enough for that day.
In this way, I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions."
~ Exodus 16:4

Sunday, August 29, 2010

In God Alone

Today in a sermon on Colossians, I heard a reference to Psalm 62:8, "...pour out your hearts to him."  So, being curious, I turned to Psalms and read all of Psalm 62.  I was immediately gripped by the very first line, "My soul finds rest in God alone;" and although the rest of the psalm is very meaningful, too, I kept coming back to the first verse.  It seems wonderfully fitting for this year of my life.  As we have journeyed from church to church, searching for a congregation in which to settle down and put down roots, striving to hear God's voice clearly as He directs us, but not yet feeling peace about where we are to be, this truth has come alive to me:  My soul finds rest in God alone.  He has proven Himself more than capable of feeding me in the desert; but I, being human, long for more. I long for the human connection of knowing where I belong, of being able to say, "This is my church."  Is this why He's kept us wandering in the wilderness?  Does He long for me to learn this truth more and more?

My soul finds rest in God alone.