Then the Lord said to Moses, "I will rain down bread from heaven for you.
The people are to go out EACH DAY and gather enough for that day.
In this way, I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions."
~ Exodus 16:4

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Parenting and Marriage

From Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss...

People ask me how it happens that my children are all so promptly obedient and so happy.  As if it chanced that some parents have such children or chanced that some have not!  I am afraid it is only too true, as someone has remarked, that "this is the age of obedient parents!"  What then will be the future of their children?  How can they yield to God who have never been taught to yield to human authority?  And how well fitted will they be to rule their own households who have never learned to rule themselves?


Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.
~ Ephesians 6:1


...


My married life has been a beautiful one.  It is true that sin and folly and sickness and sorrow have marred its perfection, but it has been adorned by a love that has never faltered.  My faults have never alienated Ernest; his faults, for like other human beings he has them, have never overcome my love to him.  This has been the gift of God in answer to our constant prayer, that whatever other bereavement we might have to suffer, we might never be bereft of this benediction.  It has been the glad secret of a happy marriage, and I wish I could teach it to every human being who enters upon a state that must bring with it the depth of misery or life's most sacred and mysterious joy.


So again I say, each man must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.
~ Ephesians 5:33