Then the Lord said to Moses, "I will rain down bread from heaven for you.
The people are to go out EACH DAY and gather enough for that day.
In this way, I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions."
~ Exodus 16:4

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Path of Right

The best things in life are nearest:  Breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you.  Then do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life.
~ Robert Louis Stevenson,
as seen on my thoughtful blogging friend Polly's blog

A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work.  This too, I see, is from the hand of God, for without him, who can eat or find enjoyment?
~ Ecclesiastes 2:24-25

The first time I read this quote, I loved it...but I didn't notice the phrase that is particularly jumping out at me tonight:  "the path of right just before you."  Recently I've noticed how each day is made up of countless moments of deciding whether or not to do what is right.  I want to be quick to follow "the path of right."