Then the Lord said to Moses, "I will rain down bread from heaven for you.
The people are to go out EACH DAY and gather enough for that day.
In this way, I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions."
~ Exodus 16:4

Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Fear of the Lord

Yesterday at a ladies' brunch at church, the speaker, Sylvia, spoke on fear; and during part of her talk, she contrasted a healthy fear of the Lord with unhealthy fear of other things. She read these verses:

He who fears the Lord has a secure fortress,
and for his children it will be a refuge.

The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life,
turning a man from the snares of death.
~ Proverbs 14:26-27 (NIV)

These verses came back to my mind last evening as we dealt with a snake on our property; and in the midst of my own fear, I saw terror in Josiah, David, and Tobin. I saw clearly the challenge to, even in the midst of such a frightful situation, point them to God, help them to fear (respect) Him, and find their security in His character. I need to learn to do this more and more, too; and I pray that as I grow in this, my sons will as well. My fear of the Lord can be a refuge for my children!

But I have a choice. Who will I fear? Either I fear the Lord, or I fear everything else.

In the fear of the Lord is strong confidence.
~ Proverbs 14:26a (KJV)