Then the Lord said to Moses, "I will rain down bread from heaven for you.
The people are to go out EACH DAY and gather enough for that day.
In this way, I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions."
~ Exodus 16:4

Thursday, June 3, 2010

There Is Manna in Narnia

In The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis, the lovable, simple but profound Cabby says some wise things. Like when Aslan is creating Narnia (but they don't yet understand anything about Aslan or Narnia), Uncle Andrew is ranting and raving about the perceived injustices that Jadis has done to him; but Digory, Polly, and the Cabby are awestruck by the majesty of what is happening all around them.
"Oh stow it, Guv'nor, do stow it," said the Cabby. "Watchin' and listenin's the thing at present; not talking."
It made me think of these verses:

Be still before the Lord, all mankind, because he has roused himself from his holy dwelling.
~ Zechariah 2:13

But I have stilled and quieted my soul;
like a weaned child with its mother,
like a weaned child is my soul within me.
~ Psalm 131:2

And another quote from the Cabby that made me smile:
"Glory be!" said the Cabby. "I'd ha' been a better man all my life if I'd known there were things like this."
However, as it is written:
"No eye has seen,
no ear has heard,
no mind has conceived
what God has prepared for those who love him."
~ 1 Corinthians 2:9