Then the Lord said to Moses, "I will rain down bread from heaven for you.
The people are to go out EACH DAY and gather enough for that day.
In this way, I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions."
~ Exodus 16:4

Monday, June 14, 2010

The Ramban's Letter, Part Five

Today, finally, is the last segment I want to post from this ancient Jewish document.

Today, finally, we see the distinction between Jewish thought and Christian. We've come to a fork in the road; and depending on where you land on this issue, you end up in two very different schools of thought.

The Jewish perspective:

Read this letter at least once a week and neglect none of it. Fulfill it, and in so doing, walk with it forever in the ways of Hashem, may he be blessed, so that you will succeed in all your ways. Thus you will succeed and merit the World to Come which lies hidden away for the righteous.
~ from The Ramban's Letter to His Son

Did you catch it? Do you see how different this thinking is than Christian beliefs?

The Christian perspective:

But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions--it is by grace you have been saved...[a few verses later, Paul writes it again]...For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast.
~ Ephesians 2:4-5, 8-9

So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God, who has saved us and called us to a holy life--not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace.
~ 2 Timothy 1:8-9

Which would you rather have:
"...neglect none of it...then you will succeed and merit the World to Come..."
OR
"...not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace"?

I know myself. I know my weaknesses. I know my tendency to "neglect" what I know to be right. I know my inability to "merit" salvation. Because of that, I gratefully accept the second choice. I cast myself on the mercy of God and say, "Thank You forever for your purpose and grace!"