Then the Lord said to Moses, "I will rain down bread from heaven for you.
The people are to go out EACH DAY and gather enough for that day.
In this way, I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions."
~ Exodus 16:4

Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Ramban's Letter, Part One

We are preparing to leave for a homeschool convention this weekend, an event I've been looking forward to for a very long time. My anticipation is running high! :) Even though I won't be at a computer every day, I do have daily posts lined up, thanks to Blogger's lovely auto-post feature. The next few days will be a series of quotes from a letter a Jewish rabbi wrote to his son approximately 800 years ago.

Ancient words.
Timeless wisdom.
Biblical truth.

Get into the habit of always speaking calmly to everyone. This will prevent you from anger, a serious character flaw which causes people to sin...Once you have distanced yourself from anger, the quality of humility will enter your heart. This radiant quality is the finest of all admirable traits.
~ from The Ramban's Letter to His Son, written by Iggeret HaRamban to his elder son, Nachman, with the instruction to read it weekly

Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.
~ James 1:19-20