Then the Lord said to Moses, "I will rain down bread from heaven for you.
The people are to go out EACH DAY and gather enough for that day.
In this way, I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions."
~ Exodus 16:4

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Obedience Is Not Contingent

One of the places where I find manna is a daily email devotional from Elisabeth Elliot, sent out by Back to the Bible. I appreciate the fact that every morning, as I sleepily nurse Shav, a piece of manna is waiting for me in my email inbox; and I can turn on my laptop and gather it as easy as anything.

I really liked the one for today. (I feel that way almost every day!) Elisabeth writes:

Obedience Is Not Contingent

The making of comparisons is a dangerous business for a Christian. Each of us must give account, not of his neighbor, but of himself to God. To the workers who, under the guise of a concern for fairness, objected to an equal wage being paid to those who began the job at different hours of the day, the owner said, "Why be jealous because I am kind?" (Mt. 20:15 NEB).

To the brother of the prodigal son, put out because this wastrel was being wined and dined, the father said, "My boy, you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. How could we help celebrating this happy day?" (Lk. 15:31,32 NEB).

To Peter, hesitant to follow the Lord until he found out what was going to be required of the other disciple, Jesus said, "If it should be my will that he wait until I come, what is it to you? Follow me" (Jn. 21:22 NEB).

The spirit of godly obedience is not in us; our wills have not been unconditionally turned over to the Master, as long as we determine our own action by what others do. To husbands God says (unconditionally), "Love your wives." To wives he says (unconditionally), "Submit to your husbands."* If each lets his obedience be contingent upon the other's, there is a standoff. The command to husbands is the business of husbands. The command to wives is the business of wives. Let each "mind his own"--direct his attention to the thing required of him--and harmony will be the result.

"There must be no limit to your goodness, as your heavenly Father's goodness knows no bounds" (Mt. 5:48 NEB).

* Many wives consider their own cases exceptional. Since no exceptions are mentioned in this passage, I conclude that a wife must be very sure she has a scriptural warrant before disobeying, e.g., if her husband desires her to act in a way clearly forbidden by scripture.

I'm quite familiar with all of the verses Elisabeth uses, but I've never grouped them together in such a way as to see their common theme. It reminds me, however, of how Jeff and I talk when we're counseling couples about the way in which some people think a relationship should be 50/50. "I'll meet you halfway, and then we'll have peace." But what happens when one spouse only gives 45 percent? And who in the world is the judge to say when I've reached 50 percent anyway?

A much more effective--not to mention, Biblical--way to approach relationships is 100/100. "I'll give you 100 percent. I'll be willing to do anything. I'll pour out my all so that, wherever you are, we'll meet in the middle. If you're at 30 percent, I'll give 70. If you're at 2 percent, I'll give 98. Maybe next week, I'll be struggling along at 19 percent, and you can give 81."

May I be willing to give 100 percent. May I not wait until someone else obeys before I follow suit. May there be no limit to my goodness.