Then the Lord said to Moses, "I will rain down bread from heaven for you.
The people are to go out EACH DAY and gather enough for that day.
In this way, I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions."
~ Exodus 16:4

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Kicking Against the Pricks

At our potluck last evening, Jeff discussed Acts 9--the first part of it, anyway. This verse stood out to me:

It is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
~ Acts 9:5 (KJV)

It is hard for you to kick against the goads.
~ Acts 9:5 (NKJV)

It is dangerous and it will turn out badly for you to keep kicking against the goad [to offer vain and perilous resistance].
~ Acts 9:5 (Amplified Bible)

I think the reason it hit my heart is because I've found it difficult recently to feel confident that I'm hearing God's voice clearly, particularly when it comes to which congregation we should become a part of. I don't want to kick against the pricks (it makes me wince just to think of literally kicking against a prick!), but it's a challenge sometimes to know in what direction the pricks are prodding me. If I knew for sure which direction we are supposed to be going, I'd be glad to speed up and not have to get pricked! But which direction is the right one?