Then the Lord said to Moses, "I will rain down bread from heaven for you.
The people are to go out EACH DAY and gather enough for that day.
In this way, I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions."
~ Exodus 16:4

Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Purpose of Marriage

I never know where I'm going to find a bite of spiritual food. This evening, for example, I was reading the newspaper (something I do only when my mother cuts out articles and gives them to me) and discovered this gem.

The goal of our life should not be to find joy in marriage, but to bring more love and truth into the world. We marry to assist each other in this task. The highest calling is that of the man who has dedicated his life to serving God and doing good, and who unites with a woman in order to further that purpose.
~ Leo Tolstoy,
in a letter he wrote

This reminds me of another quote I appreciate:

A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man should have to seek Him first to find her.
~ Maya Angelou

The Lord God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him."
~ Genesis 2:18

Marriage can be wonderful--truly a precious part of life. But if the reason for marrying is selfish, just so I will be taken care of and have my needs met, disappointment will inevitably come. How much better to work together with my spouse to bring glory to God and accomplish His purposes on earth!