Then the Lord said to Moses, "I will rain down bread from heaven for you.
The people are to go out EACH DAY and gather enough for that day.
In this way, I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions."
~ Exodus 16:4

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

How Do I Treat My Mother-in-Law?

A few days ago, I happened to tune into the radio when a program by Chip Ingram was on. He was speaking on the subject of "House or Home: What's a Child to Do? Part 2"; and during his talk, he gave a strong challenge to adult children about how we treat our parents. In short, even though we are no longer called to obey them, we are called to honor, respect, provide, and care for them. He said a lot of other good stuff, too. :)

My initial response was to feel gratitude, once again, for how close we live to my parents and what a good relationship we have with them. But then I started thinking about Jeff's mom and what a poor job I do of staying in touch with her. I love her dearly and appreciate her very much. When she comes to visit, it's wonderful! But when we're apart (like we are so much of the time), I neglect her dreadfully. The fact that she isn't my biological mother doesn't mean that I shouldn't make the effort to connect with her.

I was SO convicted.

So last night, I did something that I should have done long ago. I got out an actual card, wrote a letter to her, and included two pictures of Shav. I addressed the envelope, put a stamp on it, and took it down to the minivan to take to the post office today. I know that's just a small step, but I hope and pray that it's the beginning of a different way of relating to her.

I want her to know how loved she is and how often we think of her.

I want to respect and honor her.

I want to connect with her.

I want to be the kind of daughter-in-law that I hope to have some day. I haven't been, but I WILL CHANGE.

Give proper recognition to those widows who are really in need. But if a widow has children or grandchildren, these should learn first of all to put their religion into practice by caring for their own family and so repaying their parents and grandparents, for this is pleasing to God...If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
~ 1 Timothy 5:3-4,8