Then the Lord said to Moses, "I will rain down bread from heaven for you.
The people are to go out EACH DAY and gather enough for that day.
In this way, I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions."
~ Exodus 16:4

Friday, July 16, 2010

Praying for Healing for Luke

I read the following words from Philip Yancey yesterday evening and planned to post them this morning. I never got around to it though; but mid-morning, I learned that a young friend of ours, Luke, was just diagnosed with leukemia. As I grieved at the news, I was reminded of Yancey's words; and they gave me direction and hope.

Dr. Vernon Grounds says that when he hears of someone in need of healing, he prays like this: "God, I know you have your own purposes and undoubtedly have a plan for this person, but I'll tell you straight out what I would like to see happen."

If diagnosed with a serious illness, I would ask directly for physical healing. We are commanded to pray for healing, Jesus decisively demonstrated God's desire for human health and wholeness, and dozens of studies have borne out the effectiveness of prayer in the healing process. Faith works. It aligns body, mind, and spirit, and galvanizes the healing process built into our bodies.

...In prayers for healing, as in all prayers of request, we should honestly present the problem and tell God our heart's desire.

~ Philip Yancey,
in Prayer: Does It Make a Difference?

Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up.
~ James 5:14-15