Then the Lord said to Moses, "I will rain down bread from heaven for you.
The people are to go out EACH DAY and gather enough for that day.
In this way, I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions."
~ Exodus 16:4

Monday, July 12, 2010

Numbers

A few days ago, I rather randomly ran across this short piece about numbers: specifically, the hearts behind counting people in our ministries. When Jeff and I worked in the full-time ministry, this was something we definitely struggled with; but even now, it can be a stumbling block. I particularly like how Mark Batterson identified the real issue behind the problem with numbers. He said, "Numbers tend to produce pride or jealousy." So true. Both of those are things I want to steer clear of and do my best to purify my heart from.

So David gave orders to Joab and the army officers under him, "Canvass all the tribes of Israel, from Dan to Beersheba, and get a count of the population. I want to know the number."

But Joab resisted the king: "May your God multiply people by the hundreds right before the eyes of my master the king, but why on earth would you do a thing like this?"
~ 2 Samuel 24:2-3