Then the Lord said to Moses, "I will rain down bread from heaven for you.
The people are to go out EACH DAY and gather enough for that day.
In this way, I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions."
~ Exodus 16:4

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Wounds from a Friend

In a conversation with a friend recently, I was complaining (mildly, I thought) about a situation in my life and was admitting how my natural response is childish--about the level of a two year-old, really. She quickly said, "Oh, don't do that. Don't have that tantrum."

As soon as she said that, my thoughts ran in two directions. First, "she doesn't understand because she doesn't have a similar situation in her life," but second, "she's right, absolutely right."

Despite my agreement with her, yesterday when I had to deal with the situation, I found myself thinking (more than once, truth be told), "But I want to have this tantrum." And although I didn't physically stamp my foot like an independence-exerting toddler, I did on the inside. In those moments, her words echoed in my ears, calling me higher, urging me to grow towards maturity. "Don't have that tantrum!"

And then the voice of Wisdom called:

Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.
~ Proverbs 27:6

I don't think this particular friend will ever read this; but regardless, thank you, friend, for speaking truth into my life. Thank you for wounding me. Thank you for contributing to my growth in the Lord. I know I can trust you, and that means so much to me.